Photography sessions can be super stressful if you aren’t prepared, especially engagement sessions. But thankfully, I have a couple of tips and trips to help you stay relaxed during the camera. Let’s start with the most basic one:
Heather, I don’t where we should get our pictures done!
Don’t fret sweetie! The location can be anywhere you want it to be! Still need a couple of ideas? Here are a few:
Try somewhere that means something to the both of you. Rachel and Patrick live near Piedmont Park and some of their favorite memories are having lazy Saturdays wandering around the Park, watching the dogs play, throwing Frisbees with friends, etc. They love exploring along the Beltline too! It was a perfect location to capture their engagement pictures.
What about somewhere close by? Cindy and Daniel lived in an apartment complex that was along the Chattahoochee River. It was a perfect location for their portrait session!
You could also use an iconic spot in Atlanta! Kait and Jonathan wanted somewhere they could remember forever and chose Centennial Park. It also helped that all of the Christmas decorations were up and that Ferris Wheel is absolutely stunning!
Okay Heather. I know where I want my session done. But what should I wear?
First of all I love couples who want to get out of their every day clothes and dress up a bit! I’m a sucker for dresses and button downs. BUT if you aren’t big on those, here are a couple of tips:
For my ladies:
- Choose an outfit that makes you feel beautiful! This is a MUST.
- Structured shirts are very flattering. Button-downs, peplums, or heavier fabric that isn’t too clingy will make you look polished
- Throw some color in there! Try to avoid an all neutral look.
- Dark pants are slimming!
- Statement necklaces add sparkle with being intrusive
- An outer layer (cardigan, blazer, vest) will complete a catalog-worthy look
- Heels make legs more slimming, but be aware that we might be standing in grassy areas and heels can sink
- Avoid conflicting patterns, aka no flannel shirts with floral shorts. It can be a bit much.
- Spoil yourself with a mani/pedi! They make close up shots so much better.
- Wear your makeup just a touch darker than normal, especially your mascara to make your eyes pop. However, do not wear your eyeliner darker than normal since it can your eyes looks smaller
For my gentlemen:
- Shirts that contrast well with your jeans
- Don’t forget a belt!
- Fitted pants and closed toe shoes make men look more masculine
- Avoid clothes with logos on them. I want to see you, not a giant man riding a horse!
- Like I said, I’m a sucker for a good ole button down.
- Try a color that complements your soon-to-be partner in crime’s outfit?
Need more examples? Take a look at my Engagement Styled Pinterest Board!
I know of the perfect outfit! So what time should I get there?
Early to On time! As my band instructor used to tell us, early is on time and on time is late! See this warm, golden light? That is light I chase after in every session. It only happens an hour or two before sundown and unfortunately, once its gone, I can’t drag it by its tail back up!
We will be early then. Now, what should I expect?
Expect to spend time together. I make sure that you two are talking and enjoying each other’s company during the session. It isn’t fun unless you can goof around a little! Most importantly, I want you to be comfortable. If you are in an uncomfortable position, tell me because the photo will show it! Don’t be afraid to tell me and I will adjust your position to keep you comfy.
Want to know more tips and tricks for planning your engagement session? Check out all of my posts for the Soon-To-Be-Married!